Pages

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Who owns what?

It has been quite a while since I updated my blog. I typically write and update blog at home when I can dedicate enough time to think and write. With my recent schedule, I decided to give up trying to stay home long enough to write blog. I started writing this entry while waiting to board my flight home at Denver Airport. Last few weeks have been really hectic for me with trips to various cities, a botched SAN file system project and getting to know a new product inside out.

There is lot of stuff I would like to share with my readers, from Data Domain to Storage Management to my commentary on several interesting storage entries in blogosphere. I just need to find enough time to put my thoughts in Office OneNote.

The SAN file system project implementation was an interesting experience. The project was supposed to be simple and quick install. But everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Fortunately, in the end, everything was resolved to customer's satisfaction. In retrospect, everything came down to our overconfidence and in turn oversight of critical issues during planning. For me, the lesson learnt from this project was, even if someone is working in a team as a team:
  • Someone has to take accountability,
  • Someone has to take ownership, and
  • Someone has to be an Octopus with tentacles in every pot! to know what is going on in each pot.
I also spent good amount of time learning and playing with Data Domain 4xx product. This wasn't some canned demo, I received a highly technical insight and experience with this product. In my opinion, if you think, compression can help you in your backup and recovery process, you got to take a look at this product.

Look for more thoughts on this product, technology and business strategy in future entries. To sum it up in few words, when I look at Data Domain today, I see VMware near its inflection point.

1 comment:


  1. has been quite a while since I updated my blog. I typically write and update blog at home when I can dedicate enough time to think and write. With my recent schedule, I decided to give up trying to stay home long enough to write blog. I started writing this entry while waiting to board my flight home at Denver Airport. Last few weeks have been really hectic for me with trips to various cities, a botched SAN file system project and getting to know a new product inside out.


    Oooh I can understand that very well, although my current tenure at the Gov Shop (Univesity) does give me time to blog but still catchy, great, tintillating thoughts and ideas come and those moments I'm (naturally) away from home (although I do take my pda everywhere to jot stuff down).

    I think soon I'll see If I can hook up a podcast plugin to the blogger (Hope it's possible) or my own site (which needs a makeover so badly). That ,I think, will help me *speak up* effectively.

    But do continue to write as much as you can, Anil. It's good to read the stuff.

    ReplyDelete