Pages

Friday, September 15, 2006

Relationships generating blog content, huh?

Continuation from Why pitch me?

Initially, I was humbled that someone thought my opinion may be of value to someone else so they were pitching to me. But then the pitches started increasing in volume and repetition.

At that point, I figured it may be helpful to write a post on how I can be coaxed in to writing about you, your idea, your product or your company. But I wasn't sure how to approach this topic. So I decided to initiate email conversation about it with Jeremiah Owyang, someone better plugged in the blogging world. His initial response led me to research further:
I think common sense is the best way to do it, and remember that the bloggers are in charge. Not sure if a policy or rules of engagement are needed. Guy Kawasaki and Scoble have discussed at length 'how to pitch to a blogger.'
Jeremiah also mentioned in his follow up reply and blog entry about building relationship before pitching. From my research, it seem that most bloggers are advocating building relationship before pitching.

It appeared counter-intuitive to me. Relationship is typically required for trade media journalists and industry analysts so that they eat your pitch and regurgitate in their reports and articles. Am I being considered an industry analyst or trade media journalist? Hope not!

For me, blogging is a creative outlet and a way to building new relationships with like-minded industry professionals. I never thought of relationships (paid or unpaid) providing content for the blog like they do for analyst reports or trade articles.

Yes, relationship will get me to read your messages or listen to your pitch for few minutes, but it will not necessarily get you the coverage on my blog. BTW, I read all messages regularly irrespective of who sent me except messages on subscribed lists. So, if not relationship then what can get me excited to write about you, your idea, your technology, your product or your company? Now the cliffhanger, I will discuss this further in my follow-up post.

Relevant Links:

How to Suck Up to a Blogger

Don't Be a Bad Pitcher!

Tips for Pitching Blogs

Pitching to Bloggers: For 2.0 Involvees

How to Ruin Your Corporate Blog: 100 Tips by 10 Bloggers

7 comments:

  1. Interesting post and thanks for sharing these good thoughts. Jeremiah's right, I think - just use common sense and do things like you would if you met a person face-to-face. Beg on your knees if you think it's a life-or-death situation; whisper in their ear if you want them to feel like special possessors of secret wisdom; shake their hand and look them in the eyes if you want them to think you're self-confident; etc. So, online, just be friendly and cordia and helpful, but don't demand that others pay attention. It'll come naturally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easton, well put.

    The point I am trying to communicate is that relationship is not required beforehand to pitch to a niche blogger like me. With my niche focus, as long as pitch falls within the scope, it is likely to be considered irrespective of relationship status.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we've a common point where we're both right Anil.

    Part of building a relationship is understanding the other party. I took the time out to read your blog (been reading it months before interacting with you) and I suspect that's part of the process.

    I agree, you are indeed a niche blogger, but isn't everyone? Each person/blogger has a unique focus whether it be data storage, web strategy, or reviewing peruvian food.

    Understanding what resonates with someone is how to engage in these online conversations.

    Lastly, pitching is a term that indicates 'one-way' communication: I send you something and you send to others. I (and many of my blogger friends) agree that it's about a dialogue, a conversation that occurs between us.

    Perhaps I'm living that now as I leave this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeremiah, Not much argument from my end about building relationships.

    IMO, every relationship starts with someone pitching/presenting something to someone. Then the relationship/conversation starts if both parties are willing. ;-)

    Most data storage blogs appear more like one-way communication than conversation. Don't you agree?

    Niche is a comparative term. A peruvian food blogger may be a niche blogger compared to a food blogger. A storage blooger may be a niche blogger compared to a technology blogger.

    We may have built a rapport but that doesn't necessarily mean that you will cover everything I pitch to you. As I mentioned in my follow up post, something worth talking about will supersede any relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is quite interest because i am a Publicist by profession and at one point, i was trying to figure how one could successfully pitch to a blogger, thereby creating some sort of publicity campaign for a certain company. Interesting find!

    well, check out my hobby blog = www.romanticaffairs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jem,

    Thanks for the comment. So, what did you figure out about pitching to bloggers?

    Anil

    ReplyDelete